Child Marriage: A Blow to Human Dignity and Women’s Liberty
The current editorial discusses child marriage, a human rights violation and a chronic problem across India. Despite several laws and acts against the practice, and recent arrests made in Assam, India, the problem still persists and has been found to be dominant in the rural areas, among poor families with lower education levels. This study makes an attempt to deliberate upon various reasons leading to child marriage and the implications of child marriage which is negatively affecting the health and well–being of women and children, thereby triggering the maternal and infant mortality rate across the country. The study stresses that to achieve the target set by Sustainable Development Goal 5.3 on gender equality to eliminate child marriage by 2030, effective interventions from all quarters, along with stringent laws and proper policies are essential.
Child Marriage, Human Rights Violation, Maternal and Infant mortality
- Agarwal, A. (2022). Marriage equality in India: thinking beyond judicial challenges to secular marriage law. Indian Law Review, 6(2), 170-188. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/24730580.2021.1974768
- Anagol-McGinn, P. (1992). The Age of Consent Act (1891) reconsidered: Women's perspectives and participation in the child-marriage controversy in India. South Asia Research, 12(2), 100-118. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/026272809201200202
- Birech, J. (2013). Child marriage: a cultural health phenomenon. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 3(17), 97-103.
- Child Rights and You. (CRY)(2021). Child marriage in India: A research study. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/365450534_Child-Marriage-in-India-A-Research-Study
- Crime in India (2020). National Crime Records Bureau. Ministry of Home Affairs. Government of India. https://ncrb.gov.in/en/Crime-in-India-2020
- Forbes, G. H. (1979). Women and modernity: the issue of child marriage in India. Women's Studies International Quarterly, 2(4), 407-419. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-0685(79)90455-X
- India’s progress in tackling IMR, MMR and malnutrition. https://www.drishtiias.com/daily-updates/daily-news-analysis/india-s-progress-in-tackling-imr-mmr-and-malnutrition
- Mahmood, T. (1980). Marriage-age in India and Abroad—A Comparative Conspectus. Journal of the Indian Law Institute, 22(1), 38-80.
- Nour, N. M. (2009). Child marriage: a silent health and human rights issue. Reviews in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 2(1), 51.
- National Crime Report Bureau (NCRB). Ministry of Home Affairs. Government of India. https://ncrb.gov.in/en/crime-india
- National Family Health Survey (NFHS-4), 2015–16 http://rchiips.org/nfhs/nfhs- 4Reports/India.pdf
- National Family Health Survey (NFHS-5), 2019–20 http://rchiips.org/nfhs/nfhs5.shtml
- Paul, P. (2019). Effects of education and poverty on the prevalence of girl child marriage in India: A district–level analysis. Children and Youth Services Review, 100, 16-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2019.02.033 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2019.02.033
- Paul, P. (2020). Child marriage among girls in India: Prevalence, trends and socio-economic correlates. Indian Journal of Human Development, 14(2), 304-319. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0973703020950263
- Pavitra, K.M. (2022 a, 14 April). Data: Number of registered cases of child marriage increased by about 50% in 2020 as per NCRB Factly. https://factly.in/data-number-of-registered-cases-of-child-marriage-increased-by-about-50-in-2020-as-per-ncrb/
- Pavitra, K.M. (2022 b, 15 September). Data: Despite 9-fold increase in registered cases of Child Marriage between 2011 & 2021, reporting still poor. Factly. https://factly.in/data-despite-9-fold-increase-in-registered-cases-of-child-marriage-between-2011-2021-reporting-still-poor/
- Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006 https://factly.in/data-despite-9-fold-increase-in-registered-cases-of-child-marriage-between-2011-2021-reporting-still-poor
- Roy, Esha (2022, 7 May). Barring some, underage marriages down in most states: National Family Health Survey. The Indian Express. https://indianexpress.com/article/india/underage-marriages-down-overall-nfhs-5-7904989/
- Sample Registration System (SRS)-Statistical Report 2020 (SRSSTAT). Office of the Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India (ORGI). https://censusindia.gov.in/census.website/data/SRSSTAT
- Srivastava, Manas (2022, 17 May). UPSC essentials: Data on your tips- NFHS 5 on underage marriages and TFR. The Indian Express. https://indianexpress.com/article/india/underage-marriages-down-overall-nfhs-5-7904989/
- UNICEF (2014). Ending child marriage: Progress and prospects. UNICEF.
- UNICEF (2018). Ending child marriage: A profile of progress in Ethiopia. UNICEF.
- UNICEF, I. (2019). Ending child marriage: A profile of progress in India. UNICEF.
- Valan, M. L., & Srinivasan, M. (2017). Child marriage in India: A Critical Appraisal. IUP Law Review, 7(1), p.4.
- World Health Organization (WHO) (n.d.). Trends in maternal mortality 2000 to 2020, Estimates by WHO, UNICEF, UNFPA, World Bank Group and UNDESA/Population Division, World Health Organization 2023. https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789240068759