Sociological Analysis of Educational Strategies in the System of Higher Education in Kazakhstan
The purpose of this study is to identify the educational strategies in higher education based on an analysis of students’ motives. The sociological study was conducted using a complex of quantitative and qualitative methods employing a questionnaire survey participated by students, graduate and doctoral students of national and state universities of Kazakhstan. The in-depth interviews were attended only by graduate and doctoral students.
The findings unravelled that the leading motive for education was the desire of students to obtain a diploma. The acquisition of a formal university graduation certificate is important in the opinion of students. However, neither the content or qualifications nor the mastery of the future speciality, which they are going to acquire in the course of study, are not significant motives for the young generation. In the view of modern Kazakhstan youth, to be an educated person means to offer oneself in the labour market profitably.
The existence of a link between the requirements for the future profession and goals in the higher education system was also confirmed in the course of study. The results obtained in the course of research make it possible to head over to a new level of substantiation of educational strategies and create prerequisites for the improvement of the efficiency of the educatory process.
student motivation, educational strategies, higher education, professional development, sociological analysis, Kazakhstan
- Abdiraiymova, G.S., Shnarbekova, M.K., & Burkhanova, D. (2016). Political Portrait of Kazakhstan Youth: Symbiosis of Education and Contemporary Realities. In 3rd International Multidisciplinary Scientific Conference on Social Sciences and Arts SGEM2016, SGEM2016 Conference Proceedings, 2016, Apr 06-09 (Book 2, Vol. 1, pp. 389-396). doi: 10.5593/SGEMSOCIAL2016/HB21/S01.050
- Bergsmann, E., Schultes, M.T., & Winter, P. (2015). Evaluation of Competence-Based Teaching in Higher Education: From Theory to Practice. Evaluation and Program Planning, 52, 1-9. doi: 10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2015.03.001 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2015.03.001
- Biyekenova, N.Z., Abdiraiymova, G.S., Kenzhakimova, G.A., Shaukenova, Z.K., & Senuk, Z.V. (2016). Value System of Students of the Republic of Kazakhstan as a Special Social and Cultural Group. International Journal of Environmental and Science Education, 11(9), 2481-2494. doi: 10.12973/ijese.2016.701a
- Bourdieu, P. (2005). Strategii vosproizvodstva i sposoby gospodstva [Reproduction Strategies and Domination Methods]. In P. Bourdieu, Sotsiologiya sotsialnogo prostranstva [Sociology of Social Space] (pp. 97-120). Moscow, St. Petersburg.
- Burkhanova, D., Serikzhanova, S., & Abdiraiymova, G. (2017). Educational Strategies of Kazakhstan Youth: Does Social Inequality Matter? In 4th International Multidisciplinary Scientific Conference on Social Sciences and Arts SGEM2017, SGEM2017 Conference Proceedings, March 28-31 (Book 1, Vol. 1, pp. 59-66).
- Fursov, K.S. (2006). Obrazovatelnye strategii studentov rossiiskikh universitetov na etape vykhoda na rynok truda: opyt empiricheskogo issledovaniya [Educational Strategies of Students of Russian Universities at the Stage of Entering the Labour Market: The Experience of Empirical Research]. Voprosy obrazovaniya, 2, 222-241.
- Fursov, K.S. (2007). Obrazovatelnye strategii studentov rossiiskikh Universitetov na etape vykhoda na rynok truda: opyt empiricheskogo issledovaniya [Educational Strategies of Students at Russian Universities at the Stage of Entering the Labour Market: An Experience of Empirical Research]. Ekonomika obrazovaniya, 1, 41-52.
- Gibbs, P. (2015). Happiness and Education: Troubling Students for Their Own Contentment. Time and Society, 24(1), 54-70. doi: 10.1177/0961463X14561780 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0961463X14561780
- Giroux, H.A. (2015). Neoliberalism’s war against Higher Education and the Role of Public Intellectuals. Limite-Revista de filosofia y psicologia, 10(34), 5-16.
- Karlöf, B. (1991). Delovaya strategiya: kontseptsiya, soderzhanie, simvoly [Business Strategy: Concept, Content, Symbols]. Moscow.
- Kharchenko, I.I. (2007). Formirovanie i realizatsiya obrazovatelnykh i professionalnykh strategii sovremennoi molodezhi: avtoref. dis. ... kand. sotsiol. nauk [Formation and Implementation of Educational and Professional Strategies of Modern Youth (Ph.D. Thesis Abstract)]. Novosibirsk.
- Kolesnikova, I.A. (2006). Obrazovatelnye strategii [Educational Strategies]. Izvestiya Volgogradskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo universiteta, 1, 15-21.
- Konstantinovsky, D.L., Abramova, M.A., Voznesenskaya, E.D., Goncharova, G.S., Kostyuk, V.G., Popova, E.S., & Cherednichenko, G.A. (2015). Novye smysly v obrazovatelnykh strategiyakh molodezhi: 50 let issledovaniya [New Meanings in Educational Strategies of Young People: 50 Years of Research (Monograph)]. Moscow: TsSP i M. (p. 232).
- Kukubaeva, A.K. (2017). Strategy of Education Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Interactive Science, 3(13), 97-100. doi: 10.21661/r-117177 DOI: https://doi.org/10.21661/r-117177
- Maksimova, M.L. (2007). Obrazovatelnye strategii studentov regionalnogo universiteta: avtoref. dis. ... kand. sotsiol. nauk [Educational Strategies of Regional University Students (Ph.D. Thesis)]. Nizhny Novgorod.
- Mendez-Cadena, M.E., Martinez-Corona, B., & Perez-Nasser, E. (2016). Violence Generating Practices in a Postgraduated Academic Space. Revista Ra Ximhai, 12(1), 33-47.
- Mestrovic, D. (2017). Service quality, Students’ Satisfaction and Behavioural Intentions in STEM and IC Higher Education Institutions. Interdisciplinary Description of Complex Systems, 15(1), 66-77. doi: 10.7906/15.1.5
- Radaev, V.V. (2002). Eshche raz o predmete ekonomicheskoi sotsiologii [Once Again about the Subject of Economic Sociology]. Sotsis, 7, 3-14.
- Terentyev, K.Yu. (2014). Vysshee obrazovanie v strukture obrazovatelnykh strategii sovremennoi molodezhi [Higher Education in the Structure of Educational Strategies of Modern Youth]. Nepreryvnoe obrazovanie: XXI vek, 2(6), 1-12.
- Zaborova, E.N., & Ozerova, M.V. (2013). Obrazovatelnye strategii: podkhody k opredeleniyu ponyatiya i traditsii issledovaniya [Educational Strategies: Approaches to the Definition of the Concept and Traditions of Research]. Izvestiya Uralskogo federalnogo universiteta. Ser. 1. Problemy obrazovaniya, nauki i kultury, 3(116), 105-113.