Governance of Cross-Border Migration in Asia
An inter-ethnic migration issue has arisen due to contradictory tendencies. The relevance of the topic lies in the study and analysis of tendencies in terms of the movement of the workforce in Southeast Asia. In several Asian countries where there is a labour surplus, the migration has become one of the largest sources of income. This study examines the basic tendencies of the labour movement in the countries of Southeast Asia. The statistical data as regards the number of labour migrations for 2015–2017 have been analysed; alongside the drivers of labour migration have been identified. The main reasons for the migration are labour productivity, differences in revenues, rapidly growing number of young workers, the ageing population in other countries, reduced transport and communication costs in East and Southeast Asia. All these indicators undoubtedly have made a significant contribution to the development of migration processes. There are signs, which continually demonstrate that dependence on foreign labour has become a specific feature of some of the rich countries in the East and Southeast Asia.
Global Economic Growth; Transnational Social Space; Inter-ethnic migration; Global Migration Issues; Migration Policy; Migration Potential
- Ahsan, A., Abella, M., Beath, A., Huang, Y., Luthria, M., & Van Nguyen, T. (2014). International migration and development in East Asia and the Pacific. The World Bank. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1596/978-0-8213-9649-0
- Akimzhanova, M., Ilyassova, G., Nukusheva, A., & Rustembekova, D. (2018). Extending Legislation of the Republic of Kazakhstan by Anchoring International Child Rights. Journal of Legal, Ethical and Regulatory Issues, 21(3), 17 p.
- ASEAN Publications (2020). Retrieved on 13 January 2020 from, https://asean.org/resources_cat/asean-publications-3/
- Asian Development Bank (2012). Global Crisis, Remittances, and Poverty in Asia. Manila. Retrieved on 27 April 2019 from, https://www.adb.org/
- Asian Development Bank and Mondato (2017). Financial Disruption and Inclusion: Digital Payments Systems, Mobile Money Services, and Agent Banking. Manila. Retrieved on 03 June 2019 from, https://www.adb.org/
- Begichev, A. V., Galushkin, A. A., Zvonarev, A. A., & Shestak, V. A. (2019). History of the creation and activities of the League of Nations. Voprosy Istorii, 9, 108-113. https://doi.org/10.31166/VoprosyIstorii201909Statyi04 (In Russian) DOI: https://doi.org/10.31166/VoprosyIstorii201909Statyi04
- Choi, K. H., & Tienda, M. (2017). Boundary crossing in first marriage and remarriage. Social Sience Research, 62, 305-316. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssresearch.2016.08.014 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssresearch.2016.08.014
- Cohen, R. (2019). Diasporas: changing meanings and limits of the concept. The Handbook of Diasporas, Media, and Culture, 21-30. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119236771.ch2
- Cottier, L. (2018). Culture, financial constraints, and retirement decision. Labour Economics, 53, 128-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.labeco.2018.04.008 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.labeco.2018.04.008
- D’Aoust, A. (2013). In the name of love: Marriage migration, governmentality, and technologies of love. International Political Sociology, 7, 258-274. https://doi.org/10.1111/ips.12022 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/ips.12022
- De, S. (2017). Economic Properties of Remittances. Migration and Remittances for Development in Asia (Draft). Asian Development Bank.
- Development Asia (2016). Case Study: A ‘SMART Money’ Solution for South Asia. Retrieved on 12 May 2019 from, http://development.asia/case-study/smart-money-solution-south-asia
- Documents. United Nation (2017). Retrieved on 12 June 2019 from, https://www.un.org/en/sections/general/documents/
- Glaeser, E., Huang, W., Ma, Y., & Shleifer, A. (2017). A real estate boom with Chinese characteristics. Journal of Economic Perspectives, 31(1), 93-116. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1257/jep.31.1.93
- Gohain, M. P. (2017). 60 Percent of Engineering Graduates Unemployed. Economic Times. Retrieved on 14 September 2019 from, https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/education/news/60-of-engineering-graduates-unemployed/articleshow/57698133.cms
- Ihara, R. (2019). Heterogeneous labor and agglomeration over generations. Regional Science and Urban Economics, 77, 367-381. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.regsciurbeco.2019.06.003 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.regsciurbeco.2019.06.003
- Jussupov, M., Bozhkarauly, A., & Rustembekova, D. (2018). Formation and Development of State Migration Policy. Journal of Advanced Research in Law and Economics, 9(5 (35)), 1643-1652. https://doi.org/10.14505/jarle.v9.5(35).16
- Kaur, A. (2010). Labour migration trends and policy challenges in Southeast Asia. Policy and Society, 29(4), 385-397. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polsoc.2010.09.001 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polsoc.2010.09.001
- Mai, N., & King, R. (2009). Love, Sexuality and Migration: Mapping the Issue(s). Mobilities, 4(3), 295-307. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450100903195318 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/17450100903195318
- Migration News (2014). Southeast Asia, 21(4). Retrieved on 11 July 2019 from, https://migration.ucdavis.edu/mn/
- Mottaleb, K. A., Krupnik, T. J., Keil, A., & Erenstein, O. (2019). Understanding clients, providers and the institutional dimensions of irrigation services in developing countries: A study of water markets in Bangladesh. Agricultural Water Management, 222, 242-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2019.05.038 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2019.05.038
- Rallu, J. L., & Ined, P. (2008). Population, Migration and development in Asia, with special emphasis on the South Pacific: The Impact of Migration on population and the MDGS. Retrieved on 29 June from, http://www.un.org
- Ratha, D. (2013). The impact of remittances on economic growth and poverty reduction. Policy Brief, 8(1), 1-13.
- Ravenstein, E. G. (1885). The laws of migration. Journal of the statistical society of London, 48(2), 167-235. https://doi.org/10.2307/2979181 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/2979181
- Shestak, V. A., & Volevodz, A. G. (2019). Modern requirements of the legal support of artificial intelligence: a view from Russia. Russian Journal of Criminology, 13(2), 197-206. (in Russian). DOI: https://doi.org/10.17150/2500-4255.2019.13(2).197-206
- Sills, S. J. (2009). Transnational Migration and Work in Asia. Kevin Hewison and Ken Young, eds. Eurasian Geography and Economics, 50(5), 617–619. https://doi.org/10.2747/1539-718.104.22.1687 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2747/1539-722.214.171.1247
- Statistics and databases. International Labour Organization (2017). Retrieved on 23 May 2019 from, https://www.ilo.org/global/statistics-and-databases/lang--en/index.htm
- Statistics. United Nation Conference on Trade and development (2017). Retrieved on 13 May 2019 from, https://unctad.org/en/Pages/statistics.aspx#
- Sun, J. (2017). Marriage migration in Asia: Emerging minorities at the frontiers of nation-state. Asian Journal of Women’s Studies, 23(2), 269-271. https://doi.org/10.1080/12259276.2017.1317905 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/12259276.2017.1317905
- Tang, K., & Chen, W. T. (2018). HIV and religion in HIV-infected Asians and their families: A qualitative study. Applied Nursing Research, 44, 18-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2018.09.003 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2018.09.003
- The Future is Here – Project Ubin. SGD on Distributed Ledger (2017). Deloitte and the Monetary Authority of Singapore. Retrieved on 22 December 2019 from, https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/sg/Documents/financial-services/sg-fsi-project-ubin-report.pdf
- Tobler, W. (1995). Migration: Ravenstein, thornthwaite, and beyond. Urban Geography, 16(4), 327-343. https://doi.org/10.2747/0272-36126.96.36.1997 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2747/0272-36188.8.131.527
- Toyota, M., Böcker, A., & Guild, E. (2006). Pensioners on the Move: Social Security and Trans-border Retirement Migration in Asia and Europe. IIAS Newsletter, 40 (Spring), 30.
- Veresha, R. V. (2016). Determination Motive through the Prism of the General Concept of the Motives of Human Behaviour. International Journal of Environmental and Science Education, 11(11), 4739-4750.
- Zhuang, J., Edwards, D., & Capulong, M. V. A. (2001). Corporate Governance & Finance in East Asia: A Study of Indonesia, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Philippines and Thailand. Asian Development Bank.